We’re here to talk about signs that your rat is dying from poison and how you can help them. As a rat owner, it’s important to know the warning signs if your little friend has been poisoned.
13 Signs Rat Is Dying From Poison
It’s also good for knowing what to do when you see these symptoms if one of your rats gets poisoned. Read on below for all the information you need!
1. Rat’s Fur Feels Wet To The Touch
Rat’s fur becomes matted and unkempt, so does the tail. This is an obvious sign that rat is dying from poison.
The hair may also be wet to the touch from saliva or urine. You may notice if you observe rats sleeping.
2. Signs Rat Is Dying From The Poison – Sores On The Body
Sores will appear on the rat’s head, torso, or any part of its body. These are signs that one is dying from poison.
The sores may be fluid-filled or have pus oozing out of them. You might observe this in your rat sleeping, where you may notice the sores more.
As the sores are small and hard to notice, you won’t be able to see them when the rat is awake.
3. Breathing Is Difficult – Not As Rapid As Usual
In case of poisoning from certain poisons, breathing becomes difficult for the rat. Breathing slows down as the rat’s body fights against the poison that is killing it slowly.
You may also notice the rat’s body moving rapidly like it’s gasping for air.
4. Weight Loss Or Bloated Appearance
Rat loses weight rapidly due to the rapid destruction of tissue cells in the body. If a rat is poisoned, it will seemingly lose much of its weight.
It may also look bloated because it cannot digest food or fight against infection that develops due to poison.
5. Bleeding From The Nose, Mouth, Or Eyes
Rat’s may start to bleed from the nose, mouth, and eyes as the body tries to fight off poisons attacking it.
It may also occur due to other health issues like tumors pressing on neighboring veins or glands that produce saliva near the throat.
6. Signs Rat Is Dying From Poison – Rat Is Lethargic
The rat becomes very lazy, does not want to move out of its sleeping area or play with toys.
Lethargy is a sign that the condition is getting worse by the moment, there’s a need for immediate medical attention.
7. No Droppings In The Cage
This can mean the rat ate too little to pass stool, or there was no food for him to eat. A poisoned rat won’t be able to eat food wholeheartedly.
It can also mean your pet might be severely sick if you notice he isn’t passing droppings at all.
8. Difficulty In Walking
If it’s affecting one hind leg, then ignore this sign. Yet, if you see the rat walking hardly due to dragging its back legs, seek veterinary help immediately.
The rat might get poisoned and is dying slowly because of it.
9. Hunched Posture Or Appear Depressed
When poisoning gets severe, the rat’s body tissues swell, internal organs get compressed. This may result in a hunched posture, or your pet may appear depressed.
You need to take your pet immediately to a vet so it can be treated properly.
10. Change In Eating Habits
If your rat is eating or drinking water, yet the condition worsens with time, then act immediately.
This is because poison prevents food from being digested and inhibits the flow of blood that carries oxygen to the brain. If not treated, this will eventually lead to coma or death.
11. Red Patches On Its Skin Are A Sign
These red patches occur when the rat’s body starts to digest itself to produce the energy needed for survival.
Red patches are mostly caused by internal bleeding in such cases. These patches appear more prominently on the belly of the rat and may be larger than a coin.
There might also be blood spots on its fur, pale gums, and inside its ears.
12. Signs Rat Is Dying From Poison – Diarrhea, Fever, Seizures, Or Paralysis
Rat may start to behave erratically, such as lack of coordination, seizures, and muscle spasms. Other symptoms are diarrhea, fever, and paralysis, which worsen as poison begins to affect the nerves.
If the rat exhibits any of these symptoms, immediate veterinary treatment is necessary.
13. Vomits blood Or Dark Material
The rat vomits blood or dark material that looks like coffee grounds because it can’t digest the food.
The stomach can get ulcerated due to the corrosive effect of poison that causes internal bleeding.
I’m sure you’ve heard of the saying, “you can’t teach an old rat new tricks.” But they might surprise you. If your pet rat shows any signs of being poisoned, it’s time to immediately take them to a vet.
Some symptoms include fur that feels wet or matted, sores on the body and face, labored breathing, and rapid weight loss.
Please do let us know about your experience with rats if you’ve had any other experiences like these. Because it’s always helpful for pet owners to get information about the animal.